birding-aus

How Many Bird Species in NSW

To: <>
Subject: How Many Bird Species in NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:17:51 +1100
Hi Birders,

Since my posting of 7 January 2002 about the number of Bird Species in NSW, some consulation with members of the Birds Australia and NSW Records Appraisal Committees  has taken place, bringing me up to date with some of their recent decisions about new birds for the NSW List. Accordingly I have updated the statement I made on 7/1/2002 and reproduce the corrected statement below. The correct number of birds for NSW is 561 species.

In consulation with Allan Richards and Charlie Andrews, I am able to say that arrangements are in now hand to place the full NSW Bird List on the Birds Australia SNAG Website and the NSW Birding Website and when this has been accomplished, I will advise members of Birding-aus.

HOW MANY SPECIES OF BIRDS HAVE BEEN RECORDED FOR NSW?

Morris, McGill & Holmes (1981) A Handlist of Birds in New South Wales, lists 529 species for the State. With the publication of Christidis & Boles (1994) The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia, three Pardalote species were removed from the NSW List (viz Yellow-rumped, Eastern Striated & Black-headed Pardalote) and two species were split and so the Rufous Fieldwren and the Russet-tailed Thrush were added to the NSW List, bringing the number back to 528.

There was a Supplementary List of unconfirmed records for NSW in the 1981 Handlist, of which five species now have been confirmed as occurring in NSW viz Antarctic Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, Greater Frigatebird, Painted Firetail and Metallic Starling, which brings the total up to 533 species.

Since 1981, the following 28 additional species have been recorded in NSW Viz Garganey, Northern Pintail, Marcaroni Penguin, Grey Petrel, White-necked Petrel, Juan Fernandez Petrel, Audubon's Shearwater, Pink Shearwater, Tristram's Storm-Petrel, Red-footed Booby, Pied Heron, Hudsonian Godwit, Lesser Yellow Legs, Common Redshank, Little Stint, American Golden Plover, South Island Pied Oystercatcher, Sabine's Gull, Black-naped Tern, Bridled Tern, White-rumped Swiftlet, Banded Whiteface, Banded Honeyeater, Yellow-bellied Sunbird, Shining Flycatcher, Black-backed Wagtail & Barn Swallow, bringing the total to 561 species.

This species list does not include birds recorded on Norfolk Island because that Island is not part of NSW, nor does it include observations of Lord Howe Island, for while that Island is part of NSW, it has for a long time had a seperate list maintained by Ian Hutton and others, and is ofcourse 350 km to the east of mainland NSW. The Lord Howe Island list is readily available, on the Net.

Thankyou to all those people who drew my attention to the various species missing or incorrectly added to the List. I am happy to field enquiries about what is on and or not on the NSW List.

Alan Morris