birding-aus

How Many Bird Species in NSW

To: <>
Subject: How Many Bird Species in NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:54:21 +1100
HOW MANY SPECIES OF BIRDS HAVE BEEN RECORDED FOR NSW?

The other day Dr Peter Milburn asked me how many species of birds have been recorded for NSW and was it written up somewhere? The question set me thinking to determine just what might be the current list which offically I don't think is published anywhere? So I started with Morris, McGill & Holmes (1981) A Handlist of Birds in New South Wales, which listed 529 species for the State. With the publication of Christidis & Boles (1994) The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories, three Pardalaote species were removed from the NSW List (viz Yellow-rumped, Eastern Straited & Black-headed Pardalote) and two species were split and so the Rufous Fieldwren and the Russet-tailed Thrush were added to the NSW list, bringing the number back to 528.

There was a Supplementry List of unconfirmed records for NSW in the 1981 Handlist, of which five species now have been confirmed as occuring in NSW viz Antarctic Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, Greater Frigatebird, Painted Firetail & Metallic Starling which brings the total to 534 species.

Since 1981, the following 14 additional species have been recorded for NSW viz Garganey, Northern Pintail, Marcaroni Penguin, White-necked Petrel, Red-footed Booby, Pied Heron, Black-naped Tern, Bridled Tern, White-rumped Swiftlet,  Banded Whiteface, Banded Honeyeater, Yellow-bellied Sunbird, Shining Flycatcher, Black-backed Wagtail, bringing the total to 548 species for NSW.

It is acknowledged that in the light of the recent reviews of the Albatross taxonomy and the review of passerines by Dr Richard Shodde, the NSW list is probably higher however Birds Australia at this stage has not accepted and published a new list of birds that incorporates these changes, so that it is not possible to say with any certainly what these changes might be. So therefore, it is my view that based on Christidis & Boles (1994), the current NSW list of birds is 548 species.

The most interesting thing about the additions is that some species which had not been recorded in 1981, are now moderately common  summer visitors to NSW waters viz Streaked Shearwater and White-necked Petrel (the latter now breeding on Norfolk Island), while the Pied Heron, having only been reported twice in NSW prior to 2001, had a 20+ pair nesting colony in the Macquarie Marshes in the spring of 2000.

Alan Morris
Records Officer, Birding NSW