birding-aus

Waders at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Waders at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:15:52 +1000
g'day all,

ORIENTAL PRATINCOLE
I rechecked out the Oriental Pratincoles at Lake Moondarra (Spring Ck Bay)
Thursday 27/12/2001
Near the Christmas Day location I was able to count a dozen birds of the
original 18

But at Wide Bay (the next bay to the south, I saw them at various locations.
Only a couple of the birds had any red at the base of the beak to indicate they
were adults. Many of those in moult plumage had grey striations leading up to
the chin. Again most birds had their backs to the water. Some of the birds were
sitting on the ground. Most had trouble keeping their eyes open. A flock of
perhaps 30 flew overhead.

LITTLE CURLEW
9 birds were feeding in 70mm grass about 60m from the water...(tick)

BLACK TAILED GODWIT
1 bird by itself (doing nothing) about 200m from 5 birds feeding in 50mm of
water.

RED-NECKED AVOCET
4 birds feeding together in 40mm of water

MASKED LAPWING
Of the hundreds of Race Miles, there were 2 (not together) Race novahollandiae.
They could have been hybrids but the black sash was very obvious.

WOOD SANDPIPER
I saw perhaps a dozen scattered along the lake edges...all actively feeding

RED-KNEED DOTTEREL
There were perhaps 50, replacing the normally present Black-fronted.

and a RICHARDS PIPIT had nested (2 eggs) in a cattle footprint in a grassy area
about 45m from the waters edge

and a UFO, but I got photos of it resting on the ground.
(or maybe a bird new to science ?)

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.