birding-aus

Little Desert campout

To: <>
Subject: Little Desert campout
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:07:20 +1100
Folks,

I've just got around to rejoining the list after dropping off to go to the Little Desert Lodge Birds Australia Vic Group campout last week.  From a quick glance through the archive it seems there hasn't been an official report posted so I'll put in my unofficial two bob's worth for those who might be interested.

First of all, many thanks to Jon Bottomley and Margaret Cameron for their organising work.  I'm sure I speak for everyone who attended the campout when I say that Jon and Margaret did an outstanding job of arranging activities and keeping the program moving.  Many thanks also to everyone who helped Jon and Margaret, to Maureen and Whimpey and their staff for their excellent contribution to the campout, to our hospitable guides, the Sutherlands, at Tooan, and to Richard Hill for enabling those who wished to do so to become involved in the Red-tailed Black Cockatoo project.

I don't know what the final species tally was - mine was 156 and I know I missed a number of species that others got along the way.  Among the highlights were:
a pair of Black Falcons near Jeparit;
Mallee Fowl and Chestnut Quail-thrush at Wyperfeld;
lots of White-browed Woodswallows more or less everywhere
Red-tailed Black Cockatoos (for the lucky ones - not in my 156!)
some thousands of Banded Stilts on White Lake, near Douglas;
a couple of Painted Honeyeaters in the Tooan block of Arapiles-Tooan State Park;
some sensational raptor sightings, including Little Eagle, Wedge-tailed Eagle and Spotted Harrier;
assorted waterbirds including lots of Whiskered terns, White-faced and White-necked Herons and something like 54 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, as well as ibis, ducks and others on a wetland on private property near Kanagulk, north of Balmoral;
and Reg Johnson's table-waiting skills at the campout dinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing the official report of the campout.  It was a great week - thank you again to those who made it happen.

By the way, there was a Tawny Frogmouth in Glen Iris (an inner south-eastern suburb of Melbourne, about 10 km from the CBD) last night.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn