birding-aus

Little Bittern at Audley Weir.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Bittern at Audley Weir.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:37:00 +1100
   Hi all,

Mainly for Sydney birdos!

The Little Bittern was still at Audley Weir on the evening of Thurs. 15th.
Bob Way and I saw it twice on that day, In the morning at about 8.10 AM and
again in the evening at 4.50 PM. In the morning it was in the reeds on the
east side of the weir ( on the far side of the causway as you approach from
Sydney) and in the evening we inadvertently flushed it from the western
reeds. I suspect it prefers the eastern reeds but obviously it could be in
any of the 3 patches of reeds.

We watched from the grassy bank just behind the western reeds, it took 25
minutes to appear in the morning and about 35 minutes in the evening.

Be prepared to wait quietly and scan the reeds frequently, it is an
unexpectedly tiny little bittern whose striking colours blend remarkably
into the reeds. Watch for reed movement and scan the higher portions of the
reeds as well as at water level as we saw it just below the tops of the
Typha, (the lower of the two reeds present, the other being Cumbungi).

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.
Sydney. 2086.  Australia.