birding-aus

Backyard invasion by Channel-billed Cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: Backyard invasion by Channel-billed Cuckoos
From: Jack Shapiro <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:28:18 +1100
Dear Ted,

Many thanks for your observations of the Channel-billed Cuckoos.  What you said is very interesting, and I wonder whether the 4 birds you saw last year are the same ones that I saw yesterday ago !   previously I have only seen one of the cuckoos always

Actually ,another thought occurred to me ,although it may be too much to expect of birds.  Is it just possible that these birds are clever enough to create a commotion to distract the currawongs, in whose nest they lay eggs, and give a female CBC an opportunity to lay an egg while the others are being pursued.  What do you think of this idea?

While the CBC's stayed around the neighbourhood all day yesterday, calling intermittently, they were completely absent today.

Jack Shapir