birding-aus

RFI Spotlighting

Subject: RFI Spotlighting
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 02:11:09 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Tim Dolby wrote:
> Further, where can you purchase a good light and what are the prices?

Jaycar Electronics will currently sell you these:

12V 7.2Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery   $30
SLA Battery Charger                  $33
Lighter Socket to Battery Clips       $7
55w Spotlight                        $23

I'm not recommending  you should necessarily buy these from Jaycar.
In particular I suspect the spotlight throws a wide beam - a spotlight
with a narrower beam may be both be brighter and use less power and
hence longer battery lifetime.

Maybe others can provide better recommendations.

I would recommend a 3-LED head torch which I've just bought from Jaycar
for $30.  You can't spotlight with it but its good as an alternative or
backup light source.  It weighs less than 100 grams and is supposed to
run for 80 hours on the 3AAA batteries it contains.

It isn't as bright as my Petzl headlamp (with a halogen bulb) but it
weighs less and has much better battery lifetime.  I actually prefer
the dimmer and more diffuse light from the LED head torch for some tasks.

Bushwalking stores now sell a variety of LED torches and headlamps but
the ones I've seen are much more expensive than the no-name model Jaycar
is selling.

Andrew Taylor