birding-aus

Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] No Bittern + Hybrid Parrot

Subject: Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] No Bittern + Hybrid Parrot
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:04:06 +1100
As Geraldine says, the Bittern canbe anywhere. Returned yesterday afternoon, and after about an hour of trying to convince myself that various reeds had moved and that must be the Bittern, I thought I'd walk out onto the central island (with the willow) for the second and last time, to scan along the eastern reeds again. Two steps on and the bird flushed, flew across the water and landed in Phragmites up towards the boatshed. Quietly walked up towrads it, but it was right against the bank, and flushed again before I could see it, and landed in the Eleocharis(?) on the west side of the river. Not wanting to flush it again, I looked first from the weir itself, before slowly walking to near the river's edge. Finally, the reeds moved and got agreat view from about three metres. Being aware that I had disturbed it enough already, I walked back to the weir, and now knowing where it was, watched it for about ten minutes from a safe distance, and it was still quietly sitting when I left.
A beautiful bird, and well worth the time spent searching.
Cheers,
Peter