birding-aus

Crop-tit.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Crop-tit.
From: "rorert john brown" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:44:56 +1100
Top o' the Morning Birders.   Question:   An old gentleman farmer here in Warragul (a place 100 kms. East of Melbourne ) knowing that I was a bit of a bird nut-case, tried to describe to me a bird which he said he used to see very frequently in years gone by  -  but never now. He called it a CROP-TIT !  The best description he could give me was of a "small brown bird " with a very weak flight. He said when they were slashing hay they used to disturb them and it would fly a short distance and then land again. They occasionally "cut the nest in half " so it was not a ground nester - I can only assume it nested in the "rye-grass" about 6 or 7 inches off the ground. The eggs were very small and turquoise blue with dark brown speckles. Has anybody got any idea what species these were? He would like to know and so would I !! Cheers Robbie Brown.