birding-aus

Papuan harrier(s) sighting?

To: "Fiona" <>, <>
Subject: Papuan harrier(s) sighting?
From: "Tonyp" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:38:19 +1100
Fiona,
There have been a number of claims of Papuan Harrier over the years but I
suspect most (if not all) were actually 'old male' Swamp Harriers.  It is
not that uncommon for swampies to look black and white and certainly hooded.
This is something that the field guides fail to depict.  The fine print in
HANZAB begins to explain the nature of the problem, but most (if not all)
the field guides tend to stick to classic plumages.  It is therefore
completely understandable that there are so many claims of Papuan Harrier.
To date the Birds Australia Rarities Committee (BARC) has received only one
submission and that bird was proved unequivocally to be a Swamp Harrier.
Rather than retype what members of the committee have already written may I
be so bold as to direct you and anyone interested in this fascinating ID
complex to the BARC website which explains so of the key features to look
out for.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/palliser/barc/sub263.html
http://users.bigpond.net.au/palliser/barc/barc-home.html

About a year ago I recall seeing a bird at Penrhyn Road in Sydney that was a
classic 'black and white' Swamp Harrier.  Perhaps this could be the same
individual that Edwin came across.  Only wish I had had the camera with me.

Good birding
Tony