birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Update - 11/11/01

Subject: Birdline Victoria Update - 11/11/01
From: Stuart Cooney <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:24:50 +1100
Birdline Victoria Update No. 50
For the week ending 11/11/01

Birdline Victoria turns 1 this week!

We started reporting in November 2000 with a Koel at Yarra Bend Park, Swift Parrots in George Street Sandringham and White-winged Trillers at Langwarrin.  Since then we've had 194 sightings reported representing an astounding 149 species, suggesting that what's rare in one part of the state may not be so rare in others.  The Gang-gang Cockatoo is the most often recorded bird along with Swift Parrots and Australasian Bitterns, although its been the Painted Snipes, both this year and last October, that have probably generated the most interest.

The sightings have come from 88 contributors, 57 of which have sought out the page to report a sighting, the remaining records coming from the essential mailing list Birding-Aus.  Mike Carter has contributed the most number of sightings to the site, along with Michael Norris, Chris Coleborn, Peter Lansley and Steve Clark (Click here for more information).  My sincere thanks go to them and all of the other 52 people who have made Birdline a part of their birding experience.

The page continues to develop. We now have photos of some of the rare birds reported on Birdline and a brand new Gallery Page and we encourage you to send any other photos of your sightings for posting on the net.  I have also added the official Bush Turkeys home page, a team in the annual fund-raising Twitchathon event and we are constantly looking for other ways to improve the Birdline service.

Some of the plans for the site this year are a file upload page so that people can directly upload their pictures to be added to the site and a new and more easy to remember web address.  These improvements will occur as soon as I can work out how to do them (advice welcomed)!

Thanks once again to the people who use the site and those that have passed on their pleasure with the site.  From averaging around 40 visitors a week, we now attract over 150 per week, continuing to grow and Birdline Victoria has become a part of how Victorians go bird-watching.  Come and visit us at http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooney/index.htm.

(P.S. The two updates that I missed to make 52 were spent away from the computer at Uni, 50 out of 52's not bad!)

11 November
6 Glossy Ibis were seen at Bryans Swamp at the southern end of the Victoria Valley in the Grampians, thanks Steve Clark.

10 November
3 White-winged Terns were seen at the main Kilcunda Beach, just below the Caravan Park, thanks John Boyce.

7 November
Another Black-tailed Native-hen sighting, this time on a small marsh close to Sorrento, thanks Roger McGovern.

6 November
A farmer put up an Eastern Grass Owl while mowing hay in Gannawarra.  The paddock was on the corner of Brays Rd and the Koondrook-Cohuna Rd surrounded by some nice box remnants, thanks Chris Coleburn.

6 November
A single Black-tailed Native-hen was seen at the Lonsdale Golf Club in Point Lonsdale, thanks Ron Corinaldi.

5 November
58 Freckled Ducks and a Pectoral Sandpiper were seen at Swan Hill Sewage Farm thanks Peter Lansley.

5 November
A Red-backed Kingfisher and many White-browed Treecreepers were seen at Yarrara, thanks Peter Lansley.

3 November
A White-winged Triller was spotted at Point Cook Coastal Park in outer metropolitan Melbourne, thanks Richard Nowotny.

2 November
A White-throated Gerygone was seen when it flew into a 2nd floor office window at 153 Park Street South Melbourne, then flew into nearby tree where it remained several minutes in full view while recovering.  It appeared to be unhurt and eventually flew off north towards the city, thanks Gina Hopkins.

2 November
4 White-necked Herons were seen on the corner of Napoleon and Glenfern Roads in Ferntree Gully, thanks Greg Coughburn.

1 November
A Tawny Frogmouth in Newstead has revealed its chicks for the first time, thanks John Alexander.

1 November
A Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo was seen near the Red White and Blue mine in the Muckleford Forest, thanks John Alexander.

Late October
A Ruddy Turnstone was seen at the Woodvale Evaporation Ponds (for which permission is required to gain access) near Bendigo.  This is the first Bendigo record for the species, thanks Chris Tzaros.

29 October
A male White-winged Triller was seen at the Banyule Flats, near the billabong, thanks Joy Tansey.

28 October
A Grey-tailed Tattler was seen on the Twitchathon at the southern section of the Paradise Ponds huddling from the onshore winds by the end of one of the outlet pipes, using it as a windbreak, thanks Paul Rose.

26 October
A Dollarbird was seen, at the same time as last year, at Valencia Creek in Gippsland, thanks Duncan Fraser.

Late September
A Red-capped Plover was seen at the Waterways development at Braeside, thanks Greg Coughburn.

Birdline Victoria is a service for birdwatchers to report and find out about rare and unusual birds in Victoria and is brought to you by the VicGroup of Birds Australia. Birdline can be contacted on (03) 9882 2390 or on the Internet at
http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooney/index.htm

Regards,

Stuart

This update was sent to you on request or via the Birding-Aus mailing list. If you received this e-mail in error please reply to the sender to be removed from the recipient list.