birding-aus

avian pox

Subject: avian pox
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 05:36:45 +0000
We have a Magpie in our street which has a huge and grotesque growth on the carpel joint of its left wing. It is approximately the same size and shape as a champagne cork, but doesn't seem to prevent it from flying (it is pointing forwards along the bird's body), and that pair have just raised two chicks. Is this likely to be due to Avian Pox?

I have heard from an American ornithologist that about 20% of US birds he handles have some sort of swellings or growths from Avian Pox. I wonder what is the figure in Australian birds, do we have th edisease here? If we do I'd say it I would say lower, but it is more difficult to see odd growths on birds unless you do handle them, so I would like to be dogmatic on the point.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr)

PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia