birding-aus

Summer migrants

To: <>
Subject: Summer migrants
From: "Duncan Fraser" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:08:54 +1100
A couple of hours birding this morning, along the Avon River at Bushy Park,
north of Maffra, Vic., produced Rainbow Bee-eaters, and a beautiful male
Red-capped Robin, as well as thirty eight other species. The riverside here
borders farmland, and is very rough, with remnant native vegetation, and
heaps of blackberries, boxthorn, and Patterson's Curse, and a huge build up
of rabbits. Birds love it however, at one stage I had four Little Eagles
circling over me, probably a family group. The stand out bird was a
strikingly marked pale morph individual. Other raptors included Wedge-tail,
Brown Goshawk, Brown Falcons, and Whistling Kites. The small birds, such as
Superb Fairy wren, Red-browed Finch, Thornbill species etc. take full
advantage of the prickly cover, and breed prolifically, the area has the
highest concentration of Wrens I have seen. Duncan Fraser.