birding-aus

Goonoo Mallefowl

To: <>
Subject: Goonoo Mallefowl
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:39:08 +1100
Re sighting of Malleefowl in the Goonoo State Forest, about 43 kms N/E of Dubbo in the central west of NSW, David Geering wrote:

"I have no idea how many times I had been past that mound in the past two years with no-one home. "

It has much to do with the season David. During the laying period the bird is fairly reliably there, on and off, for most of the day. It also depends on the temperature of the day/s, and the recent rainfall.

In the past month or so I've taken a number of people there, and we haven't dipped once.

Anyway, congratulations on seeing so much activity and such interesting behaviour.  As visiting Welsh naturalist Iolo Williams said after he and his BBC TV crew watched this bird for a half hour or so in September, "He's a busy old boy!"

BTW, I have to confirm the higher number of sightings in the past year. Although I am not going to Goonoo quite as often as in past years, I'm seeing Malleefowl much more often, and more widely spread across the forest. Good news, eh?

Regards, Judie Peet
(The only thing certain in birdwatching is that nothing's certain.)