birding-aus

Little Bittern attempt #648

To: "Andrew Stafford" <>, <>
Subject: Little Bittern attempt #648
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:54:57 +1100
Congratulations Andrew, it does feel good doesn't it!! However it is showing-off just a little to see TWO of the blighters when one should have been more than enough!!

 I can't top that but I did get my second Little Bittern on Sat. during the Qld. Twitch. And no, not at Sherwood,not at Minnippii, but at Ewan Maddock Dam near Landsborough on the Sunshine Coast. There I was scanning the far bank looking for anything to get the numbers up (this was only 3 hours into the twitch day, at our fourth site) and there it is, skulking back into the reed bed.Hmmn, this looks familiar, didn't I see one of these a few days ago.Calms down the pulse rate, says nothing to teamates,waits for bird to reappear.There it is,poking out of the reeds, good light, yes it is.Excitedly tell teamates, who equally excitedly peer through scope as we tick-off identification characteristics.Excitment somewhat muted by arrival of rival team bemoaning that "there's never anything exciting at Ewan Maddock".

After that the Night Heron and Glossy Ibis seemed commonplace. We couldn't however convince our adjudicator that the bittern was worth at least 10 ordinary species.
     Jill Chamberlain, long-term keeper of records for Ewan Maddock, later stated she thinks it may be the first record for the dam.
     Andrew, I challenge you to find one at yet another site in SEQ!!!

       Russ Lamb,Maleny,