birding-aus

Gannet study volunteers wanted (VIC)

Subject: Gannet study volunteers wanted (VIC)
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:35:26 +1000
Hi everybody -

The message below is from Alice Ewing, who is studying Australasian Gannets
at the Pope's Eye (a small artificial island) in Port Phillip Bay,
Victoria.  Anyone willing to help out, please contact Alice directly by email.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hello Everyone!

My Gannet project (for Zoology Honours Year) is now in full steam, and I am
in immediate need of volunteers.  More so now than ever, as my Japanese
co-worker has gone back to Osaka, so I need volunteers to take his place.
I need volunteers to help me record details, and assist with measurements,
and some banding.  The main reason I need a volunteer is because I am not
allowed to go to Pope's Eye on my own for OHS reasons.  I generally only
need 1-2 volunteers each time.

What I would like to do is, compile a list of people who are available to
accompany me on weekdays.  Please let me know which weekday(s) would suit
you best.  Or if you have specific dates or a period of time which would
suit you better, please feel free to give me these details.

Since my field trips are all highly weather dependant, I generally cannot
confirm a trip until 1-2 days before leaving, so once I know when I plan to
go out, I will email those who are available on that day to elicit a
response, and make arrangements from thereon.

So, all of you who are interested...  please contact me ASAP on:

ALL field trips are during weekdays, as the boatman doesn't work weekends!
I usually go 2-3 times a week.  Generally, each field trip is only for the
day, but there may be occasions where I'll stay overnight in Point
Lonsdale.  Accommodation would also be provided for volunteers who are with
me.

It is possible to meet either at Queenscliff Marine Station (behind the
Marine Discovery Centre), usually at about 10am, or depart from Melbourne
early in the morning with me, at about 8am from my place in North Fitzroy.

Hope to hear from you all, and be prepared for an amazing day out with ~250
awesome Gannets!

Alice Ewing

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Are you a member of Birds Australia?  If not, why not join us?