birding-aus

White-winged Triller

To: John Clifton-Everest <>
Subject: White-winged Triller
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:21:13 +1000 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, John Clifton-Everest wrote:
> What is a good, portable field-guide of Australian
> (or just NSW) reptiles?  My son is developing a keen interest in them,
> which I should like to encourage.

Around Sydney, "Frogs and Reptiles of the Sydney Region" by Ken Griffiths -
is more convenient and much more portable than Cogger.

On the subject of urban birds, I went for an early Saturday morning
run around Iron Cove.  Passing in front of the Callan Park Hospital,
I heard intense calling by Noisy Miners.  In Casurina's just in from
the harbourfront I found a Boobook being mobbed by 20+ Noisy Miners.
It looked large for a Boobook so I spent several minutes (without
binoculars and poor lighting) trying to turn it into a Barking Owl.
First time I've seen  a Boobook in inner Sydney.

Andrew Taylor