birding-aus

Square-tailed Kites

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kites
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:00:18 +1000
Two Square-tailed Kites spent some time over Abberton yesterday, cruising
around together. Courtship maybe....

The Black-tailed Native-hens are still at their little piece of swamp - but
still only two.

Michael Atzeni mentioned that he had seen a Channel-billed Cuckoo harass a
Tawny Frogmouth off the nest. Has anyone seen any Channel-bills takings eggs
or chicks from nests?

Our regular Little Bronze-cuckoo continues to favour the same tree near the
house for hours at a time, and the Pallid Cuckoo's insistent call has become
an accompaniment to our daily life here, from dawn to dusk. A little further
afield in the valley, Ground Cuckoo-shrikes are feeding young in the nest,
but the six or so pairs of Banded Lapwings with young have disappeared from
their breeding ground.

I've failed to find the Painted Snipe at Seven Mile Lagoon the last couple
of times I've looked. However I have got some photographs, which place on
record, for anyone in possession of a decent magnifying glass, that
extraordinary gathering of 20 Painted Snipe.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056