birding-aus

Sherwood Arboretum

Subject: Sherwood Arboretum
From: John Harris or Jude Westrup <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:35:27 +1000
Good Morning all

Well it is 4.20am, I couldn't sleep so I did some of my tax.  Needing to
send it to work, I dialled up, so while I am online let me share with
you an outing from yesterday afternoon (Sunday).

I arrived at the Arboretum around 2.20 and noticed that the BCC have
been doing stormwater work on one of the small lakes - clearing water
hyacinth and lillies, dimishing my chance to see any of the crakes. This
however was not to be.

I walked around the arboretum for about 2 hours, then perched myself at
the end of the causeway between the two lakes.  Another birdo, Carl
Conden, walked up and asked what I had seen and after going through the
list of about 40 species, I sent him off in the direction of some Little
Lorikeets in the tall, flowering gums towards the River.

While he was gone, I saw the best 3 birds for the day. Firstly a
Spotless Crake, then an Azure Kingfisher both in the same area and
further along the causeway a Baillon's Crake.

Carl returned with a sore neck but he had seen the "Little's" and then
showed him and another birdo Paul York, the Spotless Crake.  Both guys
had a good afternoon, Carl with 2 ticks and Paul with about 6 ticks.

The noteworthy birds
Spotless Crake (1)
Baillon's Crake (3)
Azure Kingfisher (1)
Little Grassbird (2)
Olive-backed Oriole (2+)
Intermediate Egret (1)
Darter (1)
Little Lorikeet (many)
Mangrove Scrub Turkey  ( that is, a Scrub Turkey roosting in mangroves)
Pheasant Coucal

John Harris
Brisbane