birding-aus

A nice days birding.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A nice days birding.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:02:08 +1000
Hi All,

Bob way, Colin Scouler and I spent last Saturday birding in the Winsor area,
~50Km. N.E. of Sydney.

Just like my previous report we started at Mitchell Park which again was
full of birds, 5 species of cuckoo were seen or heard which when combined
with an additional 2 species from my previous visit with Colin makes 7:
Channel-billed, Common Koel, Pallid, Fan-tailed, Brush, Shining Bronze and
Horsfield's Bronze. However, no sign of the Little Bronze reported by Keith
Brandwood on the 9th.
The best birds were a Bassian Thrush in the rain forest, a family of 3
Glossy Black Cockatoos between the ridge track and the footbridge and 2
Large-billed Scrubwren again in the rainforest. To the best of my knowledge
this is the only sighting of L/b Scrubwren at Mitchell Park over the last 10
or so years. Alan Morris may care to comment. I have noted that Earn Hoskin
in his book "Birds of Sydney" states "a few records for Mitchell Park". As
his book was published in Dec. 91, Ern's comments may be a bit "historical"
now.

Next we went to Pitt Town Nature Reserve with an English birder, Stephen
Kaye, again great views of Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoos, 4 Spotted Crake,
telescope views of a Latham's Snipe and a Black-tailed Native Hen. Great
stuff! There were up to 20 Red-kneed Dotterel, about 6 Sharp- Tailed
Sandpiper and 2 Curlew Sandpiper.

McGrath's Hill sewerage treatment works was a bit of an anticlimax, 1
Spotted Crake, 1 Snipe and a Glossy Ibis flying overhead.

I will be "off line" for 16 days from next Tuesday, off to Western Australia
for a 16 day intensive twitch.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.