birding-aus

not getting lost in the scrub, despite using a GPS

Subject: not getting lost in the scrub, despite using a GPS
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:05:47 +1000
Vicki Powys wrote:
> Do other people have more accuracy with their GPS units at shorter
> ranges?

I find the accuracy of my Garmin II+ to be quite acceptable now
that the "error" that used to be added to the satellite signals
has been switched off.

A couple of years ago while in SW QLD with Ian Fraser, we checked
out a spot near Jundah where Irene Denton had reported seeing
Spinifexbirds with Richard Jordan (24 41 05 S, 142 51 05 E.)
We found the location without any trouble; converting the GPS
coordinates into Australian Map Grid coordinates confirmed which
road out of Jundah we needed to take, and the turn off was
obvious as the GPS "compass needle" swung to the west as we
approached the turn off.  Lots of fantastic spinifex, but no
Spinifexbirds, unfortunately.

On a related note, there are at least a couple of GPS-based "sports":
* "Geocaching" (http://www.geocaching.com) is a kind of treasure
   hunt using GPS coordinates to mark the spot (sometimes with
   other clues if the cache is particularly well hidden.)

* The "Degree Confluence Project" (http://www.confluence.org/)
   is aiming to record the surroundings at each point on land
   where the latitude and longitude are a whole degree.