birding-aus

Wattlebird behaviour

To: Reid <>
Subject: Wattlebird behaviour
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:54:25 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All and Ralph,
Reid <> wrote:

Our windows are coated with highly-reflective solar
film which, in daytime, makes them act (as viewed from
the outside) as one-way mirrors. Yesterday morning
whilst my wife and I were standing at the kitchen sink
doing the washing-up,

Now, come, come dear Ralph, "don't you mean whilst I
was doing the washing up :^D"

a Red Wattlebird came and perched on the window sill
and held a long interrogation of its reflection,
alternately calling and cocking its head sideways
whilst closely peering at its reflection.

This lasted for about three minutes, affording us an
excellent close-up view. I have not seen any other
incidents of birds being attracted to our windows in
this way. Would the use of one-way glass (or mirrors)
be a good technique for constructing observation
hides?

Sadly Ralph I had the horrid task of helping out a
beak cracked Kookaburra that swooped and dive-bombed
himself
to vigorously. The Instrument shop workers and myself
at BHP took ages to get him back in to the wild. I
know of many other incidents where bird have attacked
their own images. It seems to occur the most where
human
husbands are forced by wives to keep windows clean?
it's the plane and pitch of the window that seems to
be the most affective anti bird strike method used
with that type of glass? make to top of the window
further out then the bottom so that we humans can
still see them but their reflection is elsewhere.

Many methods around to solve this ..... let me know
and I'll dig up a few more for you and all if needed.

John A. Gamblin
Mornington Peninsula

Here comes my good friend "Little Johnny"
"Hail little Johnny hail" :^D