birding-aus

1080 baiting program. Bowen Qld.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: 1080 baiting program. Bowen Qld.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:21:11 +1000
Gooday all,
With reports of large numbers of feral pigs, dingoes and rabbits a 1080
baiting program has commenced in the Bowen Shire, Qld.
We may argue the pros and cons of the baiting issue but it is a simple fact
that these programs have a detrimental impact on non target species.
I have recently had a report from the Bootooloo Road area that a family of
Aust. Magpies that regularly visited a homestead have gone, disappeared
without any trace. No doubt victims of a bait or prey contaminated by a
bait, the conclusion expressed by David who always looked forward to the
birds visits.
I have had no further reports of any bird deaths in the
Collinsville/Scottsville area this year.