birding-aus

Kurnell 27/7

Subject: Kurnell 27/7
From: "Marc Anderson" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:45:49 +0000
Hi all,
went for a quick sea watch off Cape Solander at Kurnell (Sydney) today & stopped to have a look at the nearby Metromix wetland at Cronulla. The wind was blowing a gale from the south & there were a few seabirds to be seen in the short 30 mins or so I was there.

Seen from the coast were several Black-browed & Yellow-nosed Albatross, Gannets & Fluttering Shearwater & 2 Humpback Whales.

The water level at the Metromix wetland seems ideal for many species at the moment (well, it does to me, whether or not the birds feel this way may be another story!) - plenty of muddy margins & shallow puddles, maybe a chance for some rails. 2 Black-winged Stilts were present today, as was a Pied Oystercatcher, Little Egret, Great Egret, 2 x Royal Spoonbills, a White-bellied Sea Eagle & a Golden Whistler.

I have compiled a list of birds that I have found to be recorded at this wetland (& immediate surrounds) using birding aus archives & my own experience at the site. So far it amounts to 75 species including some interesting ones such as Lewins Rail, Buff-banded Rail, Spotless Crake, Australian Crake, Pacific Gull, Spotted Nightjar, Southern Emu Wren & Brown Honeyeater. I am sure there would be a few more to add so if anyone has seen anything that I have not recorded let me know & I'll add it on.

The list so far:

Maned Duck
Musk Duck
Black Swan