birding-aus

Re: Royal Park West - Melbourne

Subject: Re: Royal Park West - Melbourne
From: "J&A Flack" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:49:51 +1000
Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies folks. Specifically to Anne Green, yes I have
contacted the man in charge of Royal Park (about 3km North of Melbourne GPO)
about trying to conserve these birds, in fact I wrote him a follow up letter at
the same time as must recent message to Birding Aus. The areas I refer to as
rank are just that - tall fennel, wild ash trees , kikuyu grass (untrimmed) etc
- hence the unflattering term. There is some significant remnant vegetation on
part of the site, the current works I'm sure intend to augment that. To do
this, two large weedy patches have been totally razed back to bare soil. The
problem is that many of the little birds occur near to and along the open drain
from the nearby Zoo and both of the cleared patches are close to this. Some
birds may not want to move across the open ground to the remaining hillside of
indigenous vegetation, especially as no reliable water supply exists there.

My suggestion to the man in charge was that he establish some dense and prickly
native shrubs in the open areas along the drain before removing what remains of
the weeds, non-native trees etc. I'm no expert on these matters, but it just
seems common sense to do so. I haven't had any reply from him yet.

To Chris Lester, the Scarlet Robin was within the old Council Nursery site,
near the cyclone fence which runs along the railway line side - quite near the
that Zoo drain again in fact.

By the way the Little Eagle is still putting in appearances over West Brunswick
and Royal Park West. Most times I'd miss it, except our locally resident Magpie
clan are often hanging about our yard and whenever the LE floats over the whole
Mag clan become seriously afraid. Their calls draw me outside and I get to
sight what is often the Little Eagle, other times it turns out to be the Brown
Goshawk. Handy things Magpies! Does any one know why they detest
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos so much though?

Jan Flack