birding-aus

Backyard Bittern!

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Backyard Bittern!
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:01:28 +1000
Margaret,

I'm glad my term "Crake Heaven" has passed into the local birding
thesaurus.

I've also stumbled on a bounty of bitterns recently:  two at Werribee
farm on 23 June, one of which I saw again on the following day.  On the
1 July, Joy Tansey and I saw six at Reedy Lake at the Moolap Station
Road end.  Four were in the area to the east of the road and 2 were seen
flying farther out over Reedy Lake.

The one at Werribee on the 24 June was unusually obliging and I got some
good (digital) photos of it.  The birding list rules don't allow me to
share them generally as an attachment (as has been suggested to me) but
I'm happy to forward the best one to anyone who would like it.

Other candidates for the July 1 list at Reedy Lake were 3 Brolgas and a
juvenile Pacific Heron.

Ian