birding-aus

Backyard Bittern!

Subject: Backyard Bittern!
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:54:44 +1000
Not wishing to sound smug, but....... (well why not?)

Friday wader count at Moolap saltworks (Geelong) - I flushed a bittern which was standing in sparse flooded weeds in one of Alcoa's sewage ponds at Point Henry. Surely only a juvenile would stand in such a dopey place.

Saturday wader count at Hospital Lake (Geelong) - Baensch's Lane (referred to earlier this year (by Tim Dolby I think) as "Crake Paradise") - too deep for crakes now but we flushed a bittern

Saturday wader count at Reedy Lake (Geelong) - Margaret and Richard Alcorn walked from Melaluke Road to Moolap station Road and saw several bitterns. A good reward for a long wet waderless walk.

(Just as well we saw these interesting birds as there were almost no waders anywhere.)

Reedy Lake in particular is pretty reliable for bitterns all year round though in summer you usually have to wade. In winter they are quite often seen in stupid places - I remember seeing three together in a small lignum clump in which they were far from cryptic. Stephen Davies' theory was that these were young birds dispersing.

thank you Russell for birdwatching on July 1, yours may be the only bittern as we had a bittern-free day on the Sunday wader count, but did see 2 Orange-bellied parrots.

Margaret