birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos

To: <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 09:16:30 +1100
Ian Clark wrote:
>    As Dion  noted   The  birds would be   Yellow tailed  black
>Cockatoos  There  were large  numbers  probably  around 30 or so in Pinus
>radiata and  Pinus nigra  around St Georges lake in Creswick  early this
>week . they seem to be thriving on the mature  cones   and   are hope
>fully  adding a bit   of weed control . very noisy   and perhaps a little
>dangerous   getting covered  in  a shower of  heavy cones :) Ian

Hi all,

Here in the Blue Mountains, the Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, rather than
adding weed control actually help to spread the dreaded Radiata Pines by
carrying the half-munched cones and dropping them in the bush.

By the way, this is the time of year we get big flocks of YTBC in the
mountains, with up to 100-150 birds regularly seen in places such as Kings
Tableland (where they feed on hakea and banksia seeds) and the pine forests
on Newnes Plateau.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets