birding-aus

Swedish Pratincole

To: <>
Subject: Swedish Pratincole
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 16:36:53 +1000
On looking at the photographs of this bird I thought it was most likely a
Common Pratincole with moulted outer tail feathers. It differs from Oriental
in the tail being too long and deeply forked, a whitish outer primary shaft,
too extensive black on the present outermost tail feather and the presence
of an albeit very narrow pale trailing edge to the secondaries (the value of
which I am not totally convinced about). But it is a great mystery bird and
maybe I have got it all wrong.

Cheers

Dion