birding-aus

Atlas analysis

To: <>
Subject: Atlas analysis
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:05:16 +0800
I agree to a large extent with Robert Read about 2ha surveys being misleading about the species in an area.

I strongly support the Atlas, but I simply go birding rather than plan my trip to maximise Atlas results!! I record all that I see at each stop and then complete the Atlas form accordingly. <30 minutes and within 2ha, then I call it a 2ha suvey. Otherwise a 500m survey. For longer surveys, I sometimes try to break my list in two or more surveys rather than put in a 5km survey.

To Atlas all species in the area I put in a very large number of incidental surveys, particularly when driving. It is a simple matter of double clicking to save a way point on my GPS as I drive. This includes incidentals for reasonably common species. I also record all species seen / heard at the incidental. e.g. I stop for a Long-billed Black-Cockatoo, and I will put Australian Magpie, Australian Raven, etc on the survey with it if I see it, or see it within a short distance.

The big problem is that it oftens seems that I spend more time writing up my records than I have spent birding!!

I do have the map of the 10 minute blocks for the south west of WA. So if I am passing through a block with very few surveys, I do try and stop and complete a 20 minute plus survey wherever possible.