birding-aus

Sydney Gull-billed Tern

To: <>
Subject: Sydney Gull-billed Tern
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:34:41 +1000
Today at 3 p.m at Penrhyn Road, Port Botany Ted Kettle and I were amazed to
find a non breeding Gull-billed Tern hawking and briefly perching in the
bay. We watched it for 20 minutes. The tide was outgoing but quite high.

Gull-billed Terns are very rare in the county although frequent in small
numbers in the Hunter River estuary in Newcastle. I could only find three
records in Hindwood and McGill's Birds of Sydney.

When we returned later the tide was out and no sign of the tern.

Dion Hobcroft