birding-aus

Birds and Mammals around Sydney 10th June 2001

To: <>
Subject: Birds and Mammals around Sydney 10th June 2001
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:52:57 -0700
Yesterday, made a stop for a few minutes at Laughtondale Gully (about 60km north-west of Sydney CBD), about half an hour before dusk. Nothing has changed much since my last visit here 2 months ago. There were still 5 Turquoise Parrots in about the exact spot where Keith Brandwwod first reported them back in March. They were feeding on road-side grasses near the reduce speed sign. The bansias (mainly banksia ericafolia) on this ridge are still in flower and there is still plenty of bird activity, especially with the honeyeaters.

I later continued on to Dharug National Park  (a few km north after passing Wiseman's Ferry) for a couple of hours spot lighting. Both Masked and Powerful Owls where briefly heard about the Mill Creek picnic area, as well as a few Owlet Nightjars. Though there wasn't much activity in terms of birds, there was never ending mammal activity during the first 2 hours after dusk. Sugar Gliders were common, with over 10 individuals seen and several others heard at Dharug. A number of younger (smaller) gliders where present with some landing very close to me. One tall Eucalypt in the middle of the Hazel Dell picnic area, had no less than 5 gliders feeding on its flowering buds at the one time (this comprised a family of two adults and about 3 young gliders). Also in the tall forest behind the Mill Creek picnic area, where a few Yellow-bellied Gliders. Had great views of 2 of these, one seen climbing up a tall Eucalypt and another followed up after hearing its gurgling calls. The later posed nicely on a horizontal branch for a few minutes looking down on me. Also seen at Dharug where 2 Common Wombats, atleast 2 Long-nosed Bandicoots as well as both a Common Brushtail and Common Ringtail Possum.

Edwin Vella