birding-aus

Little Liverpool Atlas [SEQ]

Subject: Little Liverpool Atlas [SEQ]
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:15:23 +1000
I did a series of seven 2 ha atlas sites along the eastern side of the
Little Liverpool Range [27 46? 59 S, 152 24-29 E].  This is mostly euc
woodland that has been significantly cleared.  Most land used for
grazing, many paddocks with dams.  Most creeklines weed infested [eg the
upper reaches of the Bremer River were lined with what looked like
camphor laurels - either than or chinese elm].

Some of the interesting points
- an innocuous 20 metre farm dam with 6 species of waterfowl
- a large group of 15-20 red-backed fairy-wrens with 5 males in breeding
plumage [like flushing a flock of finches]
- a group of 10 black faced cuckoo shrikes
- a pair of tawny grassbirds perched like cistacolas [and looking
somewhat like oversized cistacolas]

The interesting thing was that a few [of the 70] species turned up at
each site.  Some, like the crows, are species you always find, others
were a bit more unexpected.  Here is the list of birds atlassed and the
number of sites each was found at:

Maned Duck  3
Pacific Black Duck  3
Aus Shoveler  1
Grey Teal 2
Hardhead  2
Aus Grebe  3
White-faced Heron 1
White Ibis  1
Straw-necked Ibis 2
Yellow-billed Spoonbill  1
Black-shouldered Kite 1
Wedge-tailed Eagle 1
Nankeen Kestrel  2
Dusky Moorhen  1
Eurasian Coot  1
Black-winged Stilt  1
Black-fronted Dotterel  1
Spur-winged Plover 3
Emerald Dove  1
Common Bronzewing 2
Crested Pigeon 3
Bar Shouldered Dove  7
Wonga Pigeon  1
Galah 3
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet 1
Pale-headed Rosella 5
Fan-tailed Cuckoo  1
Pheasant Coucal 3
Southern Boobook 1
Azure Kingfisher 1
Laughing Kookaburra 4
Superb Fairy-wren 1
Red-backed Fairy-wren 4
Spotted Pardalote  3
Striated Pardalote  7
White-browed Scrub-wren 2
White-throated Warbler 2
Noisy Friarbird  1
Noisy Miner  3
Lewins Honeyeater 1
Yellow-faced Honeyeater 4
White-throated Honeyeater 3
Brown Honeyeater 1
Eastern Yellow Robin 1
Rose Robin 1
Eastern Whipbird 3
Golden Whistler 3
Rufous Whistler 3
Little Strike-thrush 1
Peewee  6
Grey Fantail 7
Willie Wagtail 5
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike 2
Olive-backed Oriole 1
Figbird 2
Grey Butcherbird 1
Pied Butcherbird 1
Aus Magpie 6
Pied Currawong 4
Torresian Crow 7
Double-barred Finch 3
Red-browed Firetail 1
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin 1
Mistletoebird 2
Welcome Swallow 2
Tree Martin 1
Tawny Grassbird 1
Golden-headed Cistacola 3
Silvereye 4
Starling 1

Driving home along the Kalbar ? Peak Crossing Road, I drove over [but
did not run over] a small turtle ~ 30 cm from nose to tail.  It appeared
to be walking up the road and I couldn?t work out where it was heading
to [there was no obvious turtle habitat on either side of the road].
There was a reasonable looking farm dam ~ 500 metres up the road, so I
drove up, turtle in hand.  I placed the turtle near the edge of the
water, and you should have seen the little fella sprint into the water -
like watching a water dragon go.

My trip home was interrupted a few minutes later when I stopped to atlas
a brown falcon.

Regards, Laurie.
.