birding-aus

Home Bird Lists

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Home Bird Lists
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 01:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with many that the use of the principle of an
invisble air wall should prevail, if it's up there
above my area then it's included. Does it really
matter if it's flying over your shire? patch? likely
as not it will see some food and land just over the
next hill just out of your line of sight within your
shire :^D
if you see it, if you fully recognise it, then it's a
twitch as far as I'm concerned. If you go back to the
"House Crow" saga many saw it but didn't believe it
that's sad for them, but, not for us, the eyeballs in
the sky.

I do use the confirm at thee location site priciple,
otherwise I don't count it.

My home list is pretty good BUT I do live very close
to the sea. Landbirds and Seabirds nearly equal in
number.

John A. Gamblin

S Cooney <> wrote:

Hi All,

I'll buy into this one.

How much? I need a few donors for my twitchathon :^D

I count everything that moves on or above for my house
list. I need to living in the reclaimed farms of the
outer south-eastern suburb of Berwick. It is an area
that is lacking in anything like remnant vegetation,
although in the time I have been here (10ish years) I
have noticed a bit of a change from predominantly
farm-land birds (Galahs, Cockys and Ravens) to include
some smaller birds. The list consists of 32 birds,
best bird ... God that's hard ... I guess the Gang
Gangs

Here !! Here !!

from a long time ago, maybe the Wedgies that used to
soar above regularly but that haven't been seen in
years.

At our bush-block of land at Gembrook in the Dandenong
Ranges, on which we are trying to build (anyone know a
good builder?), my list is up to 57 and best bird is
Beautiful Firetail and latest adition was a large
group of Sitella's, just last week. Again, I count
anything
and have Needletails on my list.

Regards,
Stuart