birding-aus

Home bird lists

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Home bird lists
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:08:32 +1000
Hi Steve,

    I include anything native seen or heard from our block. We're lucky, we don't have many introduced anyway.
   Whilst a Brown Goshawk will frequently land up the front, I've only seen Wedgies fly over. Ibis fly over and would never be able to land on our hilly, heavily treed acre.
    Powerful and Boobook Owls, Owlet Nightjars and Frogmouths calling outside the bedroom are only heard, but they are definitely included. (Not all on the same night, thank goodness.)
    I think these are legitimate inclusions.
    People include Needletails flying over an area that they are counting, so why shouldn't they be included in your home list.
    It's your list, do whatever makes you happy.  My home list is around 76. Not bad for an outer Melbourne suburb. There's some little treasures in there, plus some that have visited once and decided they weren't impressed.  My ears are always tuned in for that "different" call..
    Cheers
    Marlene