birding-aus

A very dry Autumn in S.W.Qld.

To: <>
Subject: A very dry Autumn in S.W.Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:35:45 +0930
Hello People,
We've had no rain in this part of the world for nearly 6 months, even some of our native trees are feeling the pinch,however, the Bloodwood trees are in blossom at the moment, providing nectar for our native bees and nectar feeding birds.
Ian saw a Black Falcon a few days ago, approximately 500 metres from our house, perched in a tree in a dried-up swamp. At first he thought it was a particularly dark version of the Brown Falcon but it's stance was totally different, quite hunchy,so he stopped,and had a good look through the binoculars. It was also a lot darker than any Brown Falcon that he's seen before, and as it flew away the wing silouhette was that of a Black Falcon.
Heaps of Fairy-wrens around the house environs at the moment but can't tell what ones. I detected a glimmer of blue in a couple. Would these be immature males or adult males not in their breeding plumage?
We have 7 Mulga Parrots who come in late in the afternoon and have a drink in a bore drain about 20 metres from the house and this afternoon a Kookaburra was having a lovely bath not too far away from the little Mulgas.
We've been seeing quite a lot of Black-breasted Buzzards in the last few months.
Yesterday I stopped and watched a Nankeen Kestrel hovering for quite a while, and I thought "you must have been the model for all the book illustrations", it was just so perfect.
The Buln-bulns [Aust. Ringnecks] are being pretty chatty, I love hearing their distinctive chatter during the day, and I love seeing their beautiful bright colours in this now, very brown landscape.We had some people here recently who identified 2 sub-species of the Ringnecks living in a group together, although one of the species didn't match any book illustration as there was a lot more blue in the mid-wing area. Our daughter had commented only a month or so before that there was a distinct difference in a group of these parrots, so she was happy to have someone confirm this.
The same people identified a Grey-headed Honeyeater out in our Mulga country, and although Ian has seen them they weren't on the "official list".
Thousands of Emus around this area and lots of half grown ones with a parent at the moment, but I fear for them all if we don't get any winter rain.  We have an extremely bad feral pig problem at the moment, in spite of our efforts to rid us of these pests. In my 36 years of living out here I've not had the lawn and garden totally wiped out by pigs [by 'roos, yes, but they belong here and don't eat other animals].
We recently had someone here who particularly wanted to see Hall's Babblers, but had no luck, mind you she was here for only a day, and yesterday someone saw 19 in one group. Doesn't that always happen.
We now have a semblance of winter weather, which arrived yesterday[17 May], jeans and T-shirts during the day but definitely cool enough at night to turn the electric blanket on, the 1 setting at least.
Regards,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490