birding-aus

Re: Re [BIRDING-AUS] Bird News

To: Terry Pacey <>
Subject: Re: Re [BIRDING-AUS] Bird News
From: Atriplex Services <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:13:19 +0930

Terry Pacey wrote:

> Laurie's note on White Ibis was timely as only last weekend I was able to
> observe for myself just how these birds have adapted to living with humans.
>
> At a swimming and picnic spot at Labrador on the Gold Coast in Queensland,
> an ibis was drinking by putting its beak (bill?) right into a dripping tap.
> It went in as far as the valve in the tap allowed.  The ibis  swallowed a
> few times, removed its beak and then started again.  As the first bird left
> , another took its place.  There were plenty of puddles of water around as
> there had been rain so this method was not required.   Perhaps it is the
> only method some of the birds now use?

This interests me because it sounds similar to the way young ibis take food
from the parents. Do you suppose 'your' birds had an equivalent of a "nipple
fixation"? Any comments, Jim Davis? (At least its healthier than sticking a
cigarette in one's mouth!)  :-)
Cheers
Anne
(And no apologies if this is too flippant for some to find on birding-aus. It
would be a dull list without occasional humour).
--
Atriplex Services: "Working With Nature" Environmental Consultants,
Growers of native Australian plants, educators.