birding-aus

Urban Ibis and Whipbirds

To: <>
Subject: Urban Ibis and Whipbirds
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:50:58 +1000

 Laurie & Leanne Knight <> reported (Mon, 09 Apr 2001
18:22:39 +1000)

>   Certainly white
> ibis seem to have adapted quite well to human settlements.
>
> There already a couple in the new [Brisbane] Roma St Parklands, along
> with the other perrenial garbage birds [crows].  Other early park users
> included PB and maned ducks.  Actually the parklands have some very nice
> sections, including a mist shrouded rainforest section [perhaps they
> could bring in a few whipbirds from someone's backyard].

I recall seeing a number of White Ibis nests with chicks in the City Botanic
Gardens in Brisbane earlier this summer, and more recently seeing a White
Ibis perched on one of the pieces of modern sculpture in King George Square,
a definite improvement!

Alec Chisholm told me of Whipbirds in the same city Botanic gardens.  He was
staying at the Belle View at the time, so that was before Joh's midnight
destruction of that hotel, quite a few years ago now.  I don't know if the
gardens still have whipbirds.

Syd Curtis