birding-aus

Bird News

Subject: Bird News
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:22:39 +1000
I came across the following item on the wires today.  Certainly white
ibis seem to have adapted quite well to human settlements.

There already a couple in the new [Brisbane] Roma St Parklands, along
with the other perrenial garbage birds [crows].  Other early park users
included PB and maned ducks.  Actually the parklands have some very nice
sections, including a mist shrouded rainforest section [perhaps they
could bring in a few whipbirds from someone's backyard].

Saw a very large flock of corellas around Oxenford yesterday, and jabiru
at Bundamba [Dalys] Lagoon on Saturday.

PESKY COCKATOOS FACING THE CULL

SIMON BENSON
Daily Telegraph (p21, 09-04-2001)

 FIFTY years ago they were regarded as rare species. Today they are
bombarding
the city and fast becoming a public and environmental nuisance as their
numbers
continue to increase unabated. Now for the first time, authorities are
considering plans to eradicate and cull both the white ibis and sulphur
crested
cockatoo -- despite their status as protected native birds.

 A management plan is now being drafted to look at eradication methods
for ibis
which could include special hormones in food or the disruption of eggs
and
nests.

 Special permits have already been given to Centennial Park, Botanic
Gardens and
Taronga Zoo to eradicate ibis by a method involving the destruction of
nest
eggs.

 Authorities admitted the plan may attract criticism but claimed it was
necessary for the long term survival of the species as well as pest
management.

 Macquarie University is at the same time conducting the first ever
population
study into cockatoo numbers in Sydney to determine whether they need to
be
culled or controlled as well.

 "It's not a hard question to deal with," said National Parks and
Wildlife
Service officer Geoff Ross who is heading the campaign.

 "It is a conservation decision ... if we did nothing about bird
densities it
could become a big problem.

 "We are looking at issues of ibis and cockatoos and there are a lot of
local
areas having problems with these birds.

 "If the ibis are seen to be above levels where they become sustainable,
we need
to ask how many we need to remove. They are not only having an impact on
the
human community but also on other wildlife communities. "

 The NPWS is working with the RSPCA to ensure any culling is conducted
in a
humane way.

 Other agencies such as the zoo, Botanic Gardens and Centennial Park
Trust are
also involved in the program.

 The birds are responsible for pushing out other wildlife, water
pollution
through their droppings, damaging trees and "interfering with people".

 When populations exceed sustainable levels disease can occur,
threatening the
future of the species itself and spreading it into other species.

 Mr Ross claims the ibis in particular has managed to adapt to an urban
environment and have changed their breeding behaviour as a result.

 A spokesperson for the Centennial Park Trust confirmed it was looking
at
culling the birds which numbered up to 850 and had become a major pest.

 "But we won't do anything that isn't humane," the spokesperson said.