birding-aus

Vineyard Vegetation

To: <>
Subject: Vineyard Vegetation
From: "Cilla Kinross" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:57:14 +1000
An interesting result emerged from my research into birds usage of farm windbreaks was that common starlings - the major pest in the central west region of NSW - actually prefer windbreaks that are less than three rows wide and they also prefer non-native trees.  So it could be useful to vineyards to avoid planting narrow exotic shelterbelts around their vineyards in favour of wide shelterbelts with native trees and shrubs.   Unfortunately, one of the other problems in this area are silvereyes and some honeyeaters who prefer the wider, native kind of shelterbelt - however, these are much less of a problem than starlings so it is probably overall beneficial to have the latter kind.   Certainly vineyards can be quite good habitat for native birds, particularly where there are native remnants and plantations nearby, however, I'm not aware of any research in this area - perhaps my next step??

Another area of interest is the idea of attracting raptors to vineyards to keep the numbers of pest birds away - any thoughts on this?  I know there is someone in the Adelaide Hillls who is feeding raptors to encourage them to stay for the grape harvest and there have also been experiments with poles for nesting (e.g. ospreys in northern NSW).  Your comments would be appreciated.

Cilla Kinross