birding-aus

Autumn in Nth Victoria

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Autumn in Nth Victoria
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:41:26 +1000
The autumn weather in northern Victoria at present is really something. The
tranquil, warm days with the hint of a cool breeze and refreshingly cool
evenings make for great weather and good birding.

Over the last week I had opportunity to spend two days birding in the
Terrick Terrick area and the Yassim Swamp area. It was very satisfying
birding, with good numbers of species being seen. The Plumed Whistiling
Ducks continue to hang out at their usual site, and despite the duck hunting
season, a good variety of ducks were seen, including Blue Bill, Musk,
Pink-ear and Shoveler. Raptors were out in force. Peregrines and Hobbys are
fairly common up here, so it was good to see both them as well as a Black
Falcon, who was chasing some Starlings and Sparrows in some open grassland
with scattered bushes. Black-tail Native hens are still in the area, as are
some waders. The most common at present are Red-necked Stints. I saw over
500 at Lake Kelly. There were also some beautifully coloured Curlew
Sandpipers and over 400 Banded Stilts. Out on the grassy plains were some
good flocks of Banded Lapwings. In the Woodlands, our regulars were to be
seen, including Australian Ringneck, Blue Bonnet and our Yellow 'Crimson'
Rosella. Western Gerygone, Chestnut-rumped Thornbills joined the more common
Weebills and Yellow Thornbills. Red-capped and Hooded Robins, joined
Southern Whiteface, Grey-crowned and White-browed Babblers. Gilbert's
Whistlers made an occasional song to liven the bush up and to compete with
the more vocal Rufous Whistlers and Grey Shrike-thrush. Out on the plains,
White-winged Fairy-wrens were fairly common, and it was great to see the
Orange Chats still at Tutchewop.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn

The full list of sightings was as follows:
Plumed Whistling Duck
Blue-billed Duck
Musk Duck
Black Swan