birding-aus

Birds on the move

Subject: Birds on the move
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:52:27 +1100
Hello all,

This morning the air in Katoomba has a chill and the sky is streaked with
high wispy clouds. As expected, the cool change which came through on the
weekend seems to have triggered off the honeyeater migration and the very
first small flocks of Yellow-faced flew over my house from about 10.30 this
morning. I'm also seeing small flocks of Spotted and Striated Pardalotes
flying north.

It's surprising the number of species I see flying north in autumn which I
don't normally think of as migratory. For example, early this morning I saw
a single Magpie-lark flying north, calling loudly as it went. This is a
species I don't usually see here, as the habitat is too heavily wooded in
my neighbourhood. It was obviously on the move. On checking the 1984 Atlas,
I find that there is a certain amount of seasonal migration in parts of
their range.

Further to my earlier posting (which hasn't appeared in my Inbox yet so I'm
not sure if it went through), White-throated Needletails have continued to
turn up throughout the morning and swim around in the air currents over
Katoomba. Difficult to estimate numbers but there must have been at least
50. Some are flying so low I can hear their rapid high-pitched twittering
calls.

Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW