birding-aus

Trip Report - Kamarooka State Park

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report - Kamarooka State Park
From: "Rotamah Island Bird Observatory" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:37:11 +1100
This is a somewhat belated trip report from two weekends ago.  During a visit to Seymour I thought I might make a day trip over to Bendigo and this explore Kamarooka State Park, with it's remnant mallee habitat, I gather about as far east as mallee can be found in Victoria.  I'd initially planned on spending some time in Whipstick as well but had such a wonderful time, I hardly got there.

The forest was absolutely teeming with birds, flowering eucalypts had many different species of honeyeater.  In one 20 minute atlas site I recorded Brown-headed, Yellow-plumed, White-plumed, White-eared, Fuscous and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters and Red Wattlebirds.  This open woodland was teeming with White-browed Woodswallows, Rainbow Bee-eaters, Jacky Winters (I can't remember last time I saw so many) and I finally saw a Red-capped Robin, a family of three no less, I couldn't get over how small they were.

In the mallee area of the park the dawn chorus was nothing but frustration, not being used to these calls at all.  I did manage to track down Gilbert's Whistler, Shy Heathwren, Inland Thornbill, Brown Quail, Variegated Fairy-wren, White-browed Babbler and Purple-gaped Honeyeaters were one of the most common species there, I hadn't expected to see them so easily this far east.  Unfortunately I dipped on Southern Scrub-robin and Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, after the sun came up there was very little activity in the heath.

I spent the late afternoon looking for Southern Whiteface and Hooded Robin without luck, these species are rapidly becoming a bogey ones for me.  I did observe several Diamond Firetails to compensate however.  As well as the birds I sat and watched a Yellow-footed Antechinus for more than five minutes as he crawled down a dead tree trunk and sat in the open on the ground.

Resting up the next day in the swimming pool of my parents motel in Seymour, I added Crested Shrike-tit, Little Lorikeet and Varied Sittella to my trip list without leaving the water, a very pleasant afternoon.

All in all, Kamarooka was a little gem, full species list below.

Craig Doolan

Brown Quail
Australasian Grebe (with chicks)
Great Cormorant