birding-aus

Dry in South Western Victoria

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>, <>
Subject: Dry in South Western Victoria
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:38:51 +1100
Lawrie

I bow to your greater experience, however I am not sure what they were if
not Lewin's.  They were definitely bigger than Baillon's, more like Common
Blackbird size.  They were very close to a group of Silver Gulls and some
Dusky Moorhens for size comparison.  We did not see any white tail and the
neck and nape area were definitely brownish rather than the slate grey of
the Spotted.  They were not a large as Buff-banded, had no white eyebrow and
the neck/chest was not as barred as Buff-banded.  We both saw them clearly
for some time from approx. 50 - 60 metres with binocs, but they had
disappeared by the time I got back from the car with the telescope.
Remember also that there is only a very small wet "mudflat" area remaining
at Belmont Common at present, so they did not have much choice.

Tim,

We have had a group of Latham's Snipe on our property over the past Spring
and early Summer and observed a pair closely at a lake near Drysdale
recently.  The birds at Belmont Common clearly had black and white banding
across the abdomen and had a short bill.

Again, I would not pretend to have the experience of either of you, but it
amuses me how quick some are to doubt the observations of others from the
comfort of their armchairs.  I am not sure whether the Lewin's Rails have
read the same "accepted bird behaviour" books that you have!!

Any alternative suggestions??

Regards
Bob & Sadhana Cook
Elphinstone, Central Vic.