birding-aus

Camping on the long weekend

Subject: Camping on the long weekend
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:48:46 +1100
Hi all,

Camped at our block of land in Gembrook, Victoria over the long weekend.  We can do that now that the house site has been cut, without rolling down the hill, past the leaches, into Gembrook!

Had a great time reflecting on how lovely our life will be in that neck o' the woods.  Not a whole lot in the way of birds, although the cockatoos (Gang Gangs and Yellow-tailed Blacks) are always nice to see.  We did manage to get a new species for the block.  A Boobook called during Sunday night!  Species number 55.

We also got a new species of mammal for the block (to bring it to 8) as Sugar Glider's giggled and gurgled on the same night and to top it all off a new reptile species (actually the only identified reptile species for the block, despite dire warnings of marauding snakes lurking in the undergrowth ready to pounce!), we saw a... ok, well that was too cocky, I wrote that sentence before going through the ID book and then failed to identify the little critter.  It was a red-headed skink of some sort.  Still no reptiles on my Gemby list.

Full list follows.

Stuart

Spotted Turtle-Dove
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo