birding-aus

Binocular "skin" repair- advice sought

To: <>
Subject: Binocular "skin" repair- advice sought
From: Jack Shapiro <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:52:30 +0000
My robust binoculars, Ultima, Celstron, 10x42, which are very satisfactory optically, suffered a strange setback a week ago during an outing to Deliniquin, perhaps while they were in the case, but left in the back of a bus in the hot sun in a backpack that had accidently become wet from a burst waterbottle.

The "skin",  the PVC black layer, which covers the body , has suffered a cut  (ca5mm) and a large blister appeared.  I took the binoculars to the Bonucular shop at York St, Sydney ,wherethey were purchased- but the staff there couldn't undertake the repair.  Then, I made several inquiries form a number of camera shops- no go.  The only comment provided by one shop was that I'd need a complete new "skin" cover to recover the metal, these are unique to each model of binoculars.

Of course, the obvious repair would be applying glue the "skin" to stick it back on the barrel.  However, I want to make sure that it is done the right way with the right glue.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair ?

Among the choices, I could apply instant glue, or Araldite, or brush the surface with tetrahydrofuran (a good solvent for PVC), but which may be best ?

Advice would be appreciated.

Jack Shapiro