birding-aus

birds' sleep requirements

To: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Subject: birds' sleep requirements
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:18:32 +1100
g'day Judy,
 Two summer visitors from the north of Australia, the Common Koel  and the Channel-billed Cuckoo are  well known for calling all night.
And of course as they arrive during our wet season are often called either the Rain or Storm bird.
I presume that both species would not get to visit your territory ?

 I like reading your newsy messages

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
Heat is just a state of mind !

Hi Bob

The Common Koel was recorded in several spots in our area (just around Dubbo, and once  near Orange to the east) this past summer for the first time that I know of.  (Although old records may exist.) Channel-billed Cuckoos have been recorded once or twice I think, but not by me (*Sob*).  The koels caused quite a bit of excitement, but I didn't hear of them calling all night. Perhaps there wasn't the same pressure for territory as on the coast, so there was not the same need?

Regards, Judie