birding-aus

birds' sleep requirements

To: <>
Subject: birds' sleep requirements
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:05:03 +1100
In the case of the Blackbird, the act of calling at night is a bit of a catch
22 - falling into the trap of Darwinian theory.

The male Blackbird calls into the night as part of defining it territory, with
the most dominant males controlling the largest area. The dilemma is that the
act of calling places great stress on the bird (lack of sleep, loss of time to
eat etc), consequently increasing the chances that it will lose it strength and
dominance and therefore be replace by another male.

(Reference: see Beatles 'White Album', 1968, Apple Records)

In regards to birds sleeping on the wing (ie Spine-tailed Swift) - and the fact
that they can spend inordinate periods of time (years) with out landing - I
also would be interested to hear a reply.

Tim

Note:

Blackbird
(John Lennon, Paul McCartney)
Lead Vocal: Paul McCartney

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly
Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

Blackbird fly
Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

>>> "Judie Peet" <> 03/08/01 01:19PM >>>
G'day Everyone,

Can someone help please?  I have been asked how it is that some birds can call
all night long, apparently doing without sleep.

This started me wondering about migrating sea birds - I think I read somewhere
that they can, er, 'cat-nap'  on the wing. Is this correct? Do birds sleep so
lightly that they have catch-up naps all through the day or night?  Help!!!

Judie Peet (Dubbo)

(The only thing certain about birdwatching is that nothing's certain.)