birding-aus

Atlas Results

To: Rory Poulter - Atlas Project <>
Subject: Atlas Results
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:12:52 +1100
Rory -

Good to see some preliminary indications of what the Atlas project is
discovering.  A query regarding one item:

At 08:48 AM 22/02/01 +1100, you wrote:
>The Feral Pigeon is showing a decline.

I am just wondering if this is possibly a result of some atlassers not
recording Rock Doves (Columba livia) when they see them (possibly because
they think that the flocks they see are actually owned by people - though
flying free).  I believe that in the course of the first Atlas project
(1977-1981) Rock Doves were called Feral Pigeons in the information kits
provided.  Could this methodological change between the first and second
projects be a source of bias?

Could it be that some people are confused about the two terms for this
species are are less familiar with the former, and maybe think that the
birds they see are not really 'wild' Rock Doves but 'only' Feral Pigeons?
I note that you use the latter term yourself in your message whereas the
Atlas Record Forms use the former.

How many atlassers dutifully note sightings of this species in their
surveys?  I have heard at least one person say that they don't bother to
record the species because of the possibility that they are domestic birds.
 Doesn't the project ask for records of ALL free-flying (or free-walking or
free-swimming) birds seen in the course of Atlas surveys - even if they
could be somebody's property or an escapee from aviculture?  It might be
helpful to get some feedback from atlassers on what they have been doing in
this respect.

I believe that, if it's not obviously under someone's control, it is vital
that we record it.  How else are we going to track the establishment and
spread of ferals?

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Are you a member of Birds Australia?  If not, why not join us?