birding-aus

Ticks, Leeches and Sandflies

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ticks, Leeches and Sandflies
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:21:41 -0000
Have only experience ticks twice in my life, both in the same location
(Copeland SF in the Hunter in central NSW) and both on my neck This still
has not deterred me going back there though. Have never had a tick
elsewhere despite moving in very tall grass on several occassions.

Everytime I go up the north coast in NSW past Newcastle I seem to suffer
alot from Sandflies and I sometimes itch for upto 2 weeks - lots of
suffering indeed. Maybe it's just me being very alergic to them and  the
itching has been at times so bad that I had to see the doctor for treatment.
Are there any ways to prevent being bitten from Sandflies? I find insect
repellent useless against them.

Regarding Leaches, had a pair of quite effective leech proof socks that
someone gave me. Another highly effective deterrent is to sprinkle salt in
each sock which so far has worked all the time.

Edwin